More on the To Do List than Time in the Day
More on the To Do List Than Time in the Day
Do you ever wake up overwhelmed because there is more on the To Do list than time in the day?Do you feel stressed and overwhelmed because you need to do more than you can possibly get done?Sometimes do you feel like it just gets the best of you?You find yourself being angry and critical to the ones you love most.Your reactions are not because they have done something wrong - but, well honestly, simply because there is more on the To Do List than time in the day.We need a cure for this.However, this is not a commercial for “Vitameatavegamin”.No.As much as I love Lucy and watching reruns of her shows, that is not the help we are looking for today.
Where can we turn for help when there is more on the To Do List than time in the day?You know what I am going to say, don’t you.Most of us know the truth.The problem is we simply don’t apply the truth in our life.Why not?Why do we do this to ourselves?Why do we allow ourselves to fall into the rut of being stressed out because we are stressed out?On how that cycle robs of us of joy and fulfillment!!!!What can we do?
Let’s make a To Do List for dealing with having more on our To Do List than time in our day.But, before we start our list…check out these verses.Psalms 39:4-8...
“Lord, reveal to me the end of my life and the number of my days.Let me know how short-lived I am.You, indeed, have made my days short in length, and my life span as nothing in Your sight.Yes, every mortal man is only a vapor.Certainly, man walks about like a mere shadow.Indeed they frantically rush around in vain, gathering possessions without knowing who will get them.Now, Lord, what do I wait for?My hope is in You.Deliver me from all my transgressions; do not make me the taunt of fools.”
If we really understood the number of days we have left, do you think our To Do List would stay the same?Do you think we would add so many items to it that really don’t even matter?They don’t need to be done, but we add them to please others.Ouch!Now, let’s look at James 4:14-17…
“Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow.For what is your life?It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” But now you boast in your arrogance.All such boasting is evil.Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.”
Oh my…this is telling us that we should stay in the Lord’s will.Even simple items on our To Do List should be doing what is in God’s will for us to do today.But that last verse...read it again.“To him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.”So, if we doubt that an action is the right thing to do – but go ahead and do it anyway, that is sin.And also if we know what is right and we don’t do it, that is sin.
Making a TO DO List
Here we go.Let’s put these action items at the top of every day’s To Do list…
- Start my day in the Word. Read a devotional. Study a chapter in the Bible. Give God an opportunity to speak to me and to lead me. The only way I can stay in His will is to have communication with Him. I will speak to Him through my prayers. He will speak to me through His Word and the promptings of the Holy Spirit within me.
- Pray. “Lord, remind me how brief my time is on this earth. Help me to only put items on my To Do list that are in your will for me to do. Help me to not fill up my life with insignificant tasks. Lord, please help me to focus on doing what is right and doing what you would have me to do with my time. Reveal to me Lord what is the right thing for me to do and please give me to fortitude to get it done.”
- Love my family! I will show respect and appreciation for those precious people God has so graciously placed in my family. Love them unconditionally. Become the person in their life that God desires for me to be.
- I will commit to enjoy every day. Life is but a vapor. There are so many blessings and gifts all around me. I will open my eyes and see them. I will thank God for them. I will enjoy them. I will notice the precious things I normally run past, too busy to see.
- Add the items to my To Do List that God wills for me to get done today.
Whew!That helps me.(I am learning as I write.I am certainly not an authority on this subject.) I hope it helps you.Now, let’s hold each other accountable to do this.No more saying, “There is more on my To Do List than time in the day”.
Have a GREAT weekend and enjoy every minute!I am so thankful for you.