What are YOU going to Do?
What are YOU going to do?
It is so easy to get lost in our own life – our kids, the house, our job, the church activities, and our favorite TV series. We are on social media and connected to the world at all times. When we have a few seconds we grab our phone and start scrolling. We are busy…too busy. We are too busy to lift our head and notice what is going on all around us. We are missing it. We may look up every now and then, shake our head and think…what is going on in this world? But then, we look back down and tuck ourselves back into our small little world of busyness. Today, I want to challenge you to stop…just stop for just one minute. Just take one minute and look at what is happening all around us. It is craziness. It is heartbreaking! It is devastating. Let me ask you a question, what are YOU going to do?
This weekend our pastor shared some statistics that rocked my world. You see, I live in North Mississippi – right smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt. The Bible Belt consists of the southeast and south central regions of the United States. This area is considered to include the highest percentages of people who are Evangelical Christians. If you drive around anywhere in the county in which I live – you will not drive long before you pass a church. They are plentiful! So, when my pastor shared these stats I was astounded. How can that be? Here? I immediately felt burdened. I felt a tear begin to roll down my cheek. I felt a pain deep within my heart. I felt God whisper, What are YOU going to do? The stats he shared showed that in 1980 my county was over 80% Christian and only 1% claimed no religious affiliation. Yet, in 2010 – only 36% claimed to be Evangelical Christians and over 47% stated they do not regularly attend religious services/claim religious affiliation. What? How can that be? If the trend continues, where will we be in 30 more years? Oh my! If this is happening here – it is happening everywhere! It is not okay. So, let me ask you…what are YOU going to do?
It is time! It is time that we stand up and do something! NOW!! We are watching this country that was founded on Biblical principles turn away from God. Here we are – I am writing – you are reading – and claiming that we care, we love God, we love people, we hope someone does something before God has had enough. But it is us who has to rise up, shake off our complacency and start making a difference in the lives of others – before it is too late. My county is filled with people who don’t know Jesus. My town is filled with people who don’t know Jesus. My circle of friends has people who don’t know Jesus. My family has members who don’t know Jesus. What about yours? Lift your head, look around you and see what is happening.
I know! I get it! We feel helpless and unworthy to do anything. So while we stand by - people are searching for things that will never bring them contentment. While we stay secure in our comfort zone, people are looking for the answer in all the wrong places. While we dare not offend anyone – people are lost in confusion and spreading it like a deadly virus. What are YOU going to do? What am I going to do? What are WE going to do about it?
What CAN we do? Let’s take action. Here are some action steps we can all take beginning today…
- Get in the Word. Yes! Do it! I know you are busy – but I promise it is well worth your time. Please do not just read for five minutes and then check it off your list. Study God’s word. What does it say? What is God saying to YOU? He will speak to you through His word – just dig in. You will find fascinating stories in the Bible, encouragement, hope, instruction and a passionate love letter to you. Oh, how God loves YOU! What are You going to do about it?
- Get in Church. We are to be a part of the body of Christ. Plug into a Bible teaching, Bible preaching church. Yes, I know it is filled with people who do not live right. We are both one of them. We are all broken. It is Jesus who is perfect and when we trust in and believe on Him – He will begin the work – livelong work - of perfecting us. Worship together, learn together and grow together. Connect with a Bible study. Being a part of a thriving church family will enable you to plug in to the most amazing power source. You will find the answer to the question, what are YOU going to do? God has that answer and is ready to share it with you.
- Develop a rich prayer life. If you are not sure what that even looks like – go and see the movie War Room. It is a great depiction of what happens when we do our fighting on our knees. Commit to pray for the lost, the wayward and the confused. That may include us now – if not, we have all been there. We can ask God to burden our hearts for people who do not know Him or do not live their life for Him. Our church uses the term “unconvinced”. We can pray and ask God to soften the hearts of the unconvinced. We can ask Him to open our eyes and help us to act when we are given an opportunity to share. We can get busy becoming who God is calling us to be and start doing what He is calling us to do. He wants to use YOU. What are YOU going to do about it?
- Live our life so that others can see Jesus in us. Make our life a living testimony. We should not have to tell anyone we are being transformed. Our transformation should speak for itself as they see the changes in us. We can love more, give more, serve more and rain down grace on others. No more getting mad or gossiping, no more road rage or snappy attitude. The Bible tells us that when we have the Holy Spirit alive in us we will bear the fruits of the Spirit – Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control. Ooh…is your Fruit of the Spirit list short? What are YOU going to do? When others see those qualities in you – they will be attracted to you and want to know more.
- Decide today that you are going to share Jesus with others. He is just too good to keep to ourselves. Does that make your heart race? Do you feel nervous? Do you think that you have never had the opportunity to do that? Oh, we have lots of opportunities but we miss them because we are so concerned with what others are thinking about us, what we are going to say to impress them, how much time until our next thing on our To Do list, etc. Or God places someone on your heart and we think, “Oh, who am I to judge? I hope they know the Lord.” Then we put our head back down and never say a word. Why not just ask, “Hey, I was just wondering... do you have a personal relationship with Jesus? It sure has made a difference in my life. I would love to just tell you about it.” We start to say something, get nervous and choose to stay silent. So….what are YOU going to do? Are you going to keep missing opportunities or are you going to be willing to share? So…no more missing them. Let’s write out the plan of salvation – the scriptures to share – and keep them with us. Put a note in our Bible. Store them on the note section of our phone. Place a laminated card in our wallet. Prepare to allow God to use us to make an eternal difference in someone’s life. Listen, you don’t have to feel qualified – you only have to be willing. Because the Holy Spirit is in you – when those opportunities arise just whisper, “Help me” and He will be faithful to help you share. (If you would like a list of scriptures to share – subscribe to this blog by Friday, 9/18 and receive a copy via email. If you subscribe after that, just email me or comment on this post and I will get a copy to you.)
When I started blogging, I promised to focus on helping us master what matters. Well, my sweet friends – sharing Jesus matters. Oh, how it matters. Jesus tells us in John 14:6,
“I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
Now that you know…What are you going to do? We are not called to be complacent, careless and care free. We have been given the Great Commission. So...What are YOU going to do?
“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”